Learners accredited with this unit standard will be able to conduct basic rigging practices in accordance with legislative safety standards and job requirements. This includes the inspection, selection and use of slings and lifting tackle to safely lift, move and stack loads.
4 CREDITS │NQF LEV 2
Learners wishing to acquire the competencies in this standard will be, people working at height where there is a risk of injury from a fall. Learners will be involved in performing tasks at height. Qualifying learners are able to follow fall arrest principles to perform work at height safely, under supervision of a qualified supervisor.
The qualifying learner is capable of:
- Explaining the use and limitations of a limited range of fall arrest equipment and fall arrest plan.
- Inspecting, assembling and storing fall arrest equipment.
- Selecting suitable anchor points.
- Using fall arrest systems with a double lanyard.
- Using pre-installed vertical and horizontal life-lines.In order for a successful learner of this standard to be able to function in a rope access operation, the learner must:
- Be medically fit and in possession of a medical certificate, declaring the learner free from a condition that may prevent the learner from working safely as specified in the range statement. (An example of the content of the medical certificate is available in SABS 0333:2 Annex A).
3 CREDITS │ NQF LEV 2
People credited with this unit standard will be able to describe the requirements with regard to working at heights.
The competency includes knowledge and understanding of the requirements applicable to:
- Performing work in elevated positions.
- Inspecting, caring for and storing fall arrest equipment effectively.
- The safety, health and environmental principles regarding the safe construction and maintenance of working platform, ladders, scaffolds and walkways in elevated positions.
2 CREDITS │ NQF LEV 1